You can lock a directory with a password by using the cPanel Password Protected Directories Option.
- Log into your cPanel account.
- In the Files section, click on Directory Privacy Icon.
- Click the icon to open a folder.
- Click on the name of the directory you want to protect by password.
- Under Security Settings, check the box next to the Password protect this directory and enter a name for the protected directory like Password Protected Area. Then click the Save button.
- Now click on the Go back button.
- Scroll down the page and under Create User fill in the username and password fields or use the Password Generator option to generate a new random password and copy the user/password to a notepad. You will need this when you want to open your password-protected directory and click on the Save button.
Now, should you try to open your password-protected directory in your browser through the URL www.example.com/myfolder, which is already password protected, your browser will prompt you to enter username and password.